To Temp or Not to Temp: Top 10 Reasons to Work for a Staffing Firm
August 7th by placers 0 0
To temp or not to temp?
If “that is the question” you’re asking yourself, here are 10 great reasons you should consider working for a staffing firm:
- Find work quickly. If you need a job now, a staffing firm is a great place to start. When you register, you will have immediate access to dozens of employment opportunities. Your staffing consultant will help you decide which assignments are right for your interests, experience and career goals.
- Staffing firms have the inside track. Staffing specialists know their clients – specifically, they understand what an employer is looking for in an employee. As a result, your staffing consultant can share with you details about the employer’s corporate culture, interviewing style, decision-making “chain of command,” even pet peeves – all of which you wouldn’t otherwise know. When it comes to landing a job, this inside scoop gives you a definite advantage over your competition.
- Enjoy flexibility and freedom. Are you only available certain days or hours? Want to take summers off? If so, temporary employment may be a perfect fit for you. Unlike a traditional 40-hour job, temping affords you greater control over your schedule. You can choose to work part- or full-time, in short-term, long-term, or contract assignments.
- Find an avenue to full-time employment. For the career-minded job seeker, temporary assignments provide a great way to “get a foot in the door” with a top employer. Often, an employer will extend an offer for direct employment to a temporary employee who performs well on-the-job.
- Access opportunities that may not be advertised. Good staffing firms have leads on positions you may never hear about otherwise. In fact, some companies will use staffing and recruiting firms to fill confidential positions that they don’t want to post publicly.
- Gain experience and exposure. If you’re fresh out of school, or starting in a new field, temporary assignments allow you to quickly build your résumé. As you develop new job skills, you’ll be qualified for an even greater range of assignments – all while establishing valuable new career contacts. To boot, many staffing firms have training facilities to enhance your skills.
- Try before you buy. Not sure if a particular line of work is for you? A temporary assignment is a great way to try out a job (or an employer) to see if you like it – before committing to a permanent position.
- Enjoy variety. If variety is the spice of your work life, you’re ideally suited for temping. Staffing firms work with virtually every type of business and industry: nonprofits, Fortune 500’s, locally-owned businesses, government agencies; in fields as diverse as IT, healthcare, manufacturing and accounting. When you work as a temporary, you can work at any number of different
- Get valuable career advice and feedback. When you work with a staffing firm, you can take advantage of their wealth of job-seeking knowledge: resume writing tips; professional etiquette guidance; how to phrase answers to interview questions; even wardrobe advice. Bottom line, your staffing specialist can help you polish your image, so you’ll do your absolute best in your interview.
- It’s free.